As a Thank You! for visiting you are welcome to print these instructions.
It is available free to non-members, this month only.
For a tip about printing this page, click here.
To see the Past Blocks of the Month Picture Gallery, click here.
Past Block of the Month Instructions are available to members only!
Any instructions with [brackets], refers you to the Technique Page in the Library of this site for printable free how-tos.
WOF = Width of Fabric
You will need for the Baby Patchwork Teddy Bear:
Multi-coloured Fabric for patches (2" squares)
1. Cut the fabrics the size required [Rotary Cutting~ #F].
2. Make the template [Cardboard Templates] for the Teddy Bear shape.
4. When you are happy with the arrangement, collect the patches into 4 Patch sets, taking them from the left to the right & top to bottom and stacking them with the most left patch on top.
Tip: Number the sets (I have small cardboards with numbers I keep for this) and hold the sets together with a clothespin.
5. Sew [Machine Piecing] the patches into 4 Patch units by sewing the patches into pairs first.
Tip: Before placing two squares right sides together, place a pin in the top left corner of left patch of the pair. Keep these pins in until the corner is joined to the next patch. This helps you keep track of which is the 'top left' of the pairs/sets of pairs, keeping things straight while you chain piece your patches.
6. Press [Pressing #1] the seams open.
7. Sew the pairs together into 4 Patches, matching the seams (*See the pinning tip below).
Pinning Tip: Place a pin in each seam of both
the rows you are joining. Don't anchor them. Hold the pin perpendicular
(90*) with your first two fingers (underneath) and your thumb on
top. Now place an anchor pin (going in at an angle) beside it. Remove
the perpendicular pin after you've anchored it. Do the same for
the other seams along the row, aligning the raw edges at the top.
When joining 4 Patch blocks, adding an extra pin through the center of both blocks, before you add the anchor pin, is also helpful.
8. Press the seams open.
9. Sew the 4 Patch
units together into rows, matching the seams.
[Pressing #3] the patchwork block.
12. With two strands of the embroidery floss that matches the patchwork colour, quilt a running stitch [Stitches·#3b] across the blocks, as shown in the picture, to add a charming detail. Use the drawn teddy line as a guide as to where to start and knot off your stitching.
13. Pin the front and back pieces right-side together. Sew around the teddy bear shape, along the pencil line, beginning and ending at the template marks on one of the legs, leaving the opening to turn the teddy bear right-side out.
14. Trim the extra
fabric around the teddy bear shape, about ¼" from the
pencil line, using pinking shears. Carefully clip into the corners.
~Come Back in December for Baby Patchwork Soft Blocks Directions~
The information you send is for our files only!
Content & Graphics © 2001~ Victoriana Quilt Designs
All rights reserved. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.