As a Thank You! for visiting you are welcome to print these instructions.
It is available free to non-members, this month only.
For a tip about printing this page, click here.
To see the Past Blocks of the Month Picture Gallery, click here.
All Past Instructions are available to members only!
Any instructions with [brackets], refers you to the Technique Page in the Library of this site for printable free how-tos.
You will need for each block:
Tone on Tone & Red & White Fabrics - Cut 2" squares
1. Cut the fabrics the size required [Rotary Cutting~ #F].
2. Make a template [Cardboard Templates] for the heart shape.
3. Lay out the small squares into a pleasing arrangement.
4. When you are happy with the arrangement, collect the patches into 4 Patch sets, taking them from the left to the right & top to bottom and stacking them with the most left patch on top. Number the sets (I have small cardboards with numbers I keep for this) and hold the sets together with a clothespin. The example below is for Block 1. Block 2 has 4 sets of 4 Patches.
5. Sew [Machine Piecing] the patches into 4 Patch units by sewing the patches into pairs first.
Tip: Before placing two squares right sides together, place a pin in the top left corner of left patch of the pair. Keep these pins in until the corner is joined to the next patch. This helps you keep track of which is the 'top left' of the pairs/sets of pairs, keeping things straight while you chain piece your patches.
6. Press [Pressing #1] the seams open.
7. Sew the pairs together into 4 Patches, matching the seams (*See the pinning tip below).
Pinning Tip: Place a pin in each seam of both the
rows you are joining. Don't anchor them. Hold the pin perpendicular
(90*) with your first two fingers (underneath) and your thumb on top.
Now place an anchor pin (going in at an angle) beside it. Remove the
perpendicular pin after you've anchored it. Do the same for the other
seams along the row, aligning the raw edges at the top.
8. Press the seams open.
9. Sew the 4 Patch units together into rows, matching the seams.
Block 1: Sew the top and bottom rows, and then join them together with the two center 4 Patch units.
Block 2: Sew the top and bottom rows together.
10. Press [Pressing #3] the patchwork blocks.
11. Draw the outline of the heart onto the right side of the larger patchwork/tone on tone main square fabric with a chalk pencil. Use the guide lines on the template for placement in the center of the square.
Tip: Placing the fabric on a sheet of sandpaper taped to cardboard, will help hold it in place, for a neater finish.
12. Cut out the inside of the heart shape, about ¼" from the chalk line, using pinking shears.
13. Finger press the seam allowance over to the back of the shape and baste in place [Stitches-#3c].
14. Pin the smaller
squares to the back of the blocks, covering the heart shaped opening
and then baste into place.
This is the back of my work - and as I was knotting off, and pulling the thread through....the thread twisted to make this heart happen! :)
These blocks can be made into several small projects.
Small Wallhanging or Pillow
~Come Back Soon for More Scrappy Quilts~
The information you send is for our files only!
Content & Graphics © 2001~ Victoriana Quilt Designs
All rights reserved. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.